Second hand smoking

I am a parent that deals with second hand smoking in apartments.they are low income hud apartments. 

I don't know what to do or who to turn to,the manager doesn't seem to give a **** excuse the's very stressful when your kids are constantly sick and people don't give a dam.I reported it several times and nothing..I wonder if she had a baby and I blew smoke in her face how would she feel..


Comments 8

  • Kathy P

    Yuck, sorry you are dealing with that. Who have you reported it to? 

    Have you looked at the resources at Tobacco Free CA - 

  • K8sMom2002

    Hugs on the smoke … that has to be super frustrating! Since it is HUD, could you also reach out to the Department of Justice's Americans with Disabilities Act hotline?

    The U.S. Department of Justice provides information about the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) through a toll-free ADA Information Line.

    800 – 514 – 0301 (voice)800 – 514 – 0383 (TTY)

    Could you also send a written request to your building management through registered mail so that you have proof that it was sent and received?

  • Paularose

    Some suggestions, hope they can help; get in touch with your local Congressman or congresswoman, the ones that go to the state legislature for you not the ones that go to US Congress. If they have an office go to the office don't call. Try ASH which is a foundation that's been around for several years with the express purpose of eliminating smoking. I believe the letters stand for action on smoking and health but you can certainly Google it. Check to see if there are any local or state laws regarding second hand smoke where you live. I'm from New York city so I don't know your situation as opposed to laws in your state. I know this may sound funny but put a complaint into the Better Business Bureau that handles your area. Put the complaint against your landlord. If your building is managed by a managing agent, put the complaint in against that company that manages your building. BBB will contact them for a response. Contact the American Cancer Society. They should definitely have some suggestions on second-hand smoke. Google the following: second hand smoke and laws and the name of your state. Something may pop up. I hope at least one of my suggestions proves fruitful. While I am not allergic to second-hand smoke I do get extremely nauseous when I smell it and in my head I plan violent deaths for the people who cause it! Good luck!

  • Sam Williams II AAFA Posterchild 1983

    Please be encouraged.  Unfortunately, the only answer is relocation if the environment is not adaptable to your liking.  Move.  Save Money and Move.  Its what I had to do to save my life.  When its life or death Money doesn't matter.  I hope it all turns out well for you.

  • MMKB

    Sneezy79 – I found an article that you might like to read. Do a web search – American Lung Association and Is Secondhand Smoke Infiltrating Your Apartment or Condominium. In the article under the second step it mentions California. Another thought – It  might be helpful if your children's doctor writes a letter for you that states how the secondhand smoke is causing your children to have increased breathing/health problems and what needs to been done to improve your children's health.

    I can sympathize with you! Second hand smoke is terrible for anyone with asthma! In November 2017, I was in ICU for five days because I walked out of an arena and people were smoking !

  • K8sMom2002

    MMKB, is this the article you were talking about?

    Secondhand smoke exposure in multi-unit dwellings such as apartments and condominiums is unfortunately both a common problem and also dangerous for you and your family.  can lead to serious health problems including lung cancer, heart disease and stroke, and can make asthma worse in adults and children. 

    Thanks for sharing!

  • MMKB

    K8SMOM2002 – Yes, that is the article. Thanks for posting the link.