I have neighbors who smoke both at home and in the work place. Asthma attacks, sneezing fits, burning and watery eyes results after the smallest exposure. I cannot control my body's reactions, thus, I suffer through nearly every hour since these are 'chain smokers' who seem to smoke every half hour. It takes 20 – 30 minutes for the smoke to drift into my home and business no matter if I have the doors and windows opened or closed. The smoke comes through the walls, it seems. I also have dozens of air purifiers running 24/7. They help, but they cannot eliminate the smoke that comes into my home and business. I also tried to seal the home with an energy audit, but it did not work. I am at wit's end. I would like to know if anyone has any ideas on the following:
1. What can be done to keep the smoke from coming into the home? Will installing huge fans to ventilate toward the smokers work? If so, does anyone know of any contractors who will install these fans?
2. After the smoke is in the home, what can be done to clean items to remove the 2nd/3rd hand smoke?
3. There are reports that the air purifiers don't work, is that true? They seem to help up to a point when there are more than a dozen or so of them running 24/7.
4. What about ozone machines? Do they work?
5. What type of mask will work? I had ones with carbon filters, but they are very stuffy. I also tried the 3M industrial masks, but they are very uncomfortable.
Any information will be extremely appreciated.
I talked to the neighbors, but they will not stop smoking. I understand it is an addiction, but their addiction is harming others because they cannot control where the smoke goes and how many people they injure from the 2nd and 3rd hand smoke. We non-smokers are unwilling participants. When the smokers smoke, they are forcing the non-smokers to smoke at the same time. If smokers started to smoke in the first place, they are just selfish and hiding behind this 'addiction' idea. They do not understand that their addiction is imposing a death sentence on people who do not smoke. Non-smokers will die of cancer and asthma attacks just because the smokers have an addiction. I will be more sympathetic of this type of addiction if the smokers will actually try to keep their smoke to themselves and not pollute the air with all the smoke. Even when they smoke outside, the smoke travels to another home. Furthermore, they are causing pollution and harming other people, animals, wildlife, etc. (Three of my cats died of cancer.)
This is a debate that will go on forever. In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas, please post it. I have tried many things and will try more items. I do not want to move from my home which I had built on my own. The smokers are ruining my life and taking so much of my time to just have 'clean' air to breath.
Thank you very much in advance for any ideas.