Salt Room Therapy (Halotherapy) just plain works:
1. In the 1800s a doctor in Poland noticed that workers in a salt mine had excellent respiratory health.
2. He took patients into the salt mine and they improved.
3. In the 1990s pulmonologists in Russia explored the reason patients improved – microscopic salt particles suspended in the air – and had engineers create a machine to replicate this in a clinical setting.
4. During the next decade Salt Room technology was fine-tuned and thousands of subjects were tested, proving an effectiveness of about 85% (for significant improvements) but even the remaining 15% received at least slight improvements.
OK, now the bad news:
1. Salt Therapy is generally time-consuming, so most people in this fast-paced world cannot take full advantage of it. (Sessions should be 45 minutes to an hour.)
2. Insurance won't pay for it yet, but spending a few hundred dollars, for example, can save thousands of dollars in medical expenses, and provide relief that no medicine alone can provide.
3. Salt Rooms are not everywhere, but about 500 have been built in the USA since 2009 and many more are on the way.
The AAFA seems to have a very close-minded board of directors, which is made up of doctors, and has shown no interest in anything except dependence on endless medicine and doctor visits. The AAFA has thus stated that Salt Rooms should be avoided, yet anyone with asthma or allergies who has ever done a course of Salt Therapy knows that they are completely wrong. The AAFA, if it truly wishes to help asthmatics, should find ways to make Salt Rooms more accessible to those who need them.
One last note, along with the spread of genuine Halotherapy, places offering some other kind of 'salt therapy' have emerged, which incorrectly use the term halotherapy. To be certain that your local Halotherapy provider is genuine, simply confirm that they utilize a Halogenerator which produces dry salt particles within the range of one half (.5) and 10 microns.