Housecleaning is my nemesis! Two of my worst allergies are dust mites and molds. Cleaning stirs them up, but when dust builds up, that's not good either! I just can't win!
I need your best tips on what you've found that helps!
Here are the things I have found that help:
- Removed all the carpet several years ago and replaced with laminate flooring.
- Added a whole house HEPA filter on the heating system. This will only help in winter when it's running. No A/C. It seems to be reducing the dust build up.
- Wearing a mask – I hate it, but it help! I've been wearing an N95 mask.
- Leaving the area after cleaning to let the dust settle before I go back.
- Washing bedding in hot every week; pillows have zippered covers
Here is where I'm still struggling:
- My vacuum is not great. I got a stick vac w/ a dust cup you have to empty. Who thought of this? Let's suck up the dust, then dump it out? AND I have to shake out the filters! I do have a canister vac too.
- Got a Bissell Crosswave for Christmas – it will vac and wash at the same time on the hard surface floors. Works pretty well, doesn't stir up the dust – I don't need to dry mop, then wet mop. BUT the cleaning solution has a really strong scent that was getting to me and lingers. I have not tried the machine with DIY floor cleaner – I usually use a spray bottle with vinegar/water/alcohol/essential oil and a Swiffer mop with a washable cloth.
- Stuff still settles in the corners and I have to "swipe" that out w/ a duster – I use either microfiber cloths or the Swiffer dusters (the fluffy kind). That seems to do a decent job of not stirring things up, but my tendency is to neglect cleaning because I don't want to stir stuff up which means I don't deal with it til there is a lot there.
Yeah, I hate cleaning and it hates me! How do you deal with? I would love to get someone else to do it, but that is not in the cards!