We have heard from members in our community that many are :
- EpiPen® and EpiPen Jr® (distributed by Mylan)
- The authorized generic of EpiPen® and EpiPen Jr® (distributed by Mylan)
- Epinephrine injection, USP auto-injector, the authorized generic of Adrenaclick® (distributed by Impax)
This is due to possible shortages of auto-injector devices at pharmacies. (KFA), a division of the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA), has confirmed there is no shortage of the drug epinephrine. The shortages at the pharmacies are due to other reasons.
What Do We Know About This Shortage?
- Mylan, distributor of EpiPen®, .
- The FDA has extended the expiration dates of certain lots of 0.3mg EpiPens® to help with the shortage.
- Kaléo, maker of AUVI-Q, .
What Do I Do If My Pharmacy Doesn’t Have EpiPens® or a Generic?
If your pharmacy is out of EpiPens® or a generic auto-injector, don’t worry. You may have other options. Here are steps to take if your pharmacy can’t fill your prescription:
- Try another pharmacy. The supply issue varies based on suppliers and pharmacies. Call Mylan Customer Relations at 800-796-9526 for assistance in locating alternative pharmacies. Mylan has confirmed to KFA that they are committed to drop shipping if there isn't an option that is close.
- If another pharmacy can’t fill it, ask if they can fill it with a substitute. There are . You may need to request a new prescription from your doctor.
- If your prescription changes to AUVI-Q®, (which may take around two days to deliver to you).
Note: If you get another brand of auto-injector, remember that they may have different instructions than the EpiPen®.
How Can I Help Make Sure This Doesn't Continue to be an Issue?
These ongoing epinephrine auto-injector availability issue is concerning. If action isn't taken soon, our community will be in crisis. KFA sent a letter to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to ask them to fix this system.
We have also written a letter families can send to the HHS about this issue. We ask you to . Our tool makes it easy for you to send it as an email message – and you can personalize it by adding your story.